Nous sommes actuellement le jeu. mars 28, 2024 9:56 am

Le fuseau horaire est réglé sur UTC+01:00

Publier un nouveau sujet  Répondre au sujet  [ 5 messages ] 
Auteur Message
MessagePublié : dim. oct. 28, 2007 17:35 pm 
Hors-ligne

Volia qq info sur cette Raid: Oui je sais que c'est en Anglais :wink:

(NB, les Claims par la Luftwaffe ne sont que des possibilites)

Objective: Saint Leu D'Esserent.

On the night of 4th 5th July 1944, Bomber command sent a force of 231 Lancaster's and 15 Mosquito's to attack the V1 supply depot at Saint Leu D'Esserent. No less than 13 RAF Lancaster's were shot down over occupied territory. Many of the crews would die in their valiant effort to bring an end to the V1 reign of terror over England. Some crew men would be taken prisoner by the German forces on the ground. Some very fortunate crew men would evade capture to then be assisted by local French men and women who would hide the airmen in their own homes with the ever present danger of being caught or exposed by fellow country men. At times German soldiers would visit their homes but not in search of the airmen but for a place to sleep or for food. These heart stopping moments were lived by both the French and the airmen. Adding to the fear of being caught, the punishment was execution, was the lack of food and supplies which the families already endured.

The BBC had sent a rebus message to the local population of Saint Leu d'Esserent informing them that the information regarding the base, sent by the Resistance networks had been received.

Mr & Mrs Bonnaventure worked as railway line crossing guards opposite the entrance to the base. It would be their name which translated in to English which was used. Bonne aventure meaning good adventure was the code used in the following message:

"Ce soir nous irons a la bonne aventure" ( Tonight we go on a good adventure)

A plaque has been place on the grandchild's house in Saint Leu d'Esserent, in remembrance of her grandparents. The couple were taken prisoner by the Germans and interrogated. The interrogation was short lived, due to the fact in the message Bonne Aventure was spelt differently to their name. The couple where released with out harm.

The bombing raid over Saint Leu D'Esserent was planned at night with the 'bombs away' set for 01H45 am. This particular night was a clear sky with bright moonlight. The attacking force assembled over England between 23h30 and started it journey over the English Channel and the French coast.

(See Sledge hammers for tintacks by Steve Darlow)

The following aircraft from each squadron is detailed below:

9 squadron sent LL845, W4964, JA957, JA690, LL785, ME833, EE136, LM453, LL884, LL914, DV161, PB146, ME809, DV396

97 Squadron sent ND589 (D), PB156 (O), ND746 (L), ND961 (N), ND740 (F), ND452 (S), PA974 (B), JA846 (K), PB133 (C), ND840 (J), ND501 (T)

106 squadron sent JB663, ME789, LL953, PB191, ME832, ND682, ME668, ME778, LM215, PB144, ME831, JB593, ND339, LL948, JB641, PB122.

207 squadron sent LL902,ND866, ME814, NE168 LM125, ME805, ND872, LM208, LM218, LM535, ME807, ME681, ND567, ME667, LM1296, ND570.

463 sent 15 a/c ? HK536, ME614,

467 sent 16 a/c ? R5868,

617 squadron, Mustang III, Mosquito NT205, Lancasters, LM458(n), ME557(S), ME559(Y),DV391(O), ME560(H), ME561(R),ME555(C),DV385(A),ED763(D),DV393(T),EE131(B),JB139(V),DV402(P),ME562(Z),LM489(L),LM482(W),LM492(Q).

With the bomber formation now over French territory they faced the defending force of German Luftwaffe fighters. The fighters would harass the bomber crews all the way to the target and on their return journey. By no means was this a 'milk run'.

The first aircraft to succumb was 463 squadron's Lancaster HK536 JO-H. It was shot down over the town of Ellecourt in the Seine-Maritime department north west of Beauvais. The crew of seven are all buried in the Ellecourt Communal cemetery. Four of the crew were RAAF. A claim is made by Luftwaffe fighter pilot Uffz.Grätz 3/JG301 at around 01H15.

F/O A.K.Carter (RAAF), Sgt B.J.Watts, F/S R.H.Norman, Sgt A.C.Brown, F/S T.F.Maher (RAAF), F/S G.R.Whimpey (BEM RAAF), F/S G.E.Dowling.

57 squadron would lose Lancaster JB486 DX-F near the town of Breteuil. Luftwaffe Pilot, Fw. Martin Schulze of 1/JG301 claims a 4 engine aircraft in this area (SE) at 01H17. The crew of seven are all buried in Poix de Picardie churchyard.

F/L A.E.Grubb, Sgt H.Lees, WO2 J.W.Weyers (RCAF), F/O J.P.Hodges (RAAF), Sgt G.T Osborne, Sgt C.N.Stalker, Sgt J.T.Nixon.

The third Lancaster downed was 106 Squadrons, Lancaster ME832 ZN-J. Of the crew of seven only F/S O J McNaughton RCAF survived and evaded capture. Four of the crew are buried at Beauvais-Marissel cemetery and the panels 211 & 232 perpetuate F/S Futcher & Sgt Kearney at Runnymede.The aircraft crashed fully loaded into the small woodland close to the town of Saint Germain la Poterie. A claim is made by Fw. Gerhard Koch of 1/JG301 stating he shot down a Lancaster at 01H30.

F/S S.M.Futcher, Sgt R.Bentley, F/S F.H.Stokeld, F/S O.J.McNaughton (RCAF), Sgt J.J.Kearney, F/O W.H.C.Ramsay, Sgt A.Bradley.

Jean Lagouche recalls: "In 1994 families, of the crew came to Beauvais, looking for the crash site. We got to meet them. By sharing their and our information we could determine it was the crash site they were looking for. The memorial was erected by two members of the museum, Jacques Maillard and I. A contractor and I manufactured both memorials. A subsidiary was provided by St Germain La Poterie City Hall."

Image Image

see page 193 M.Mavre

The bomber formation now turning to start its bomb run west of Saint Leu d'Esserent having witnessed the loss of three bombers from the French skies and the long journey home had yet to start. With the 'bombs away' more night fighters take their toll on the Bomber group and at this point two Lancaster's are hit.

9 squadron lost Lancaster LL785 WS-F which crashed in a pasture next to the small hamlet of Le Tillet killing all onboard. Mrs. Poulet witnessed the crash but no-one went to the crash site because the German infantry was at the sceane. Six of the crew are buried at Creil's communal cemetery whilst Sgt Atkin rests at the Beauvais - Marissel French National Cemetery. A claim is made by Oblt. Ernst Fischer of 1/JG301 at 01H35.

P/O D.W.Ryan, F/L J.V.Patrick (RNZAF), Sgt H.P.F.Eveleigh, F/S I.A.Buchanan, F/S V.H.Grayson, Sgt R.J.Atkin, F/S S.E.W.Marshall, Sgt J.T.Theaker.

At more or less the same time, 207 Squadron lose Lancaster LM125 EM-G which came down over the small town of Apremont near Chantilly. The aircraft crashed near to the Faisanderie. The crew of seven are all killed and are buried in Creil's communal cemetery. Oblt Ernst Fischer claims a second Lancaster only four minutes from that of his first 01H39.

P/O J.H.Wilson, Sgt J.Matthews, F/S H.G.West, F/S C.M.Firth, Sgt C.A.Hallett, Sgt C.Stapleton, Sgt A.D.Roper (picture)

Image Image

Derrick Roper lies in Creil Communal Cemetery, France. He is also remembered in the Rolls of Honour placed by 207 Squadron RAF Association in Leicester Cathedral and All Saints Great Steeping (adjacent to the old RAF Spilsby airfield). There are memorials to the Squadron on the airfield and in All Saints'. He is also named in the No.5 Group Roll of Honour in Lincoln Cathedral and in the Central Church of the Royal Air Force, St. Clement Danes, London, and is named on the Northallerton War Memorial. Derrick Roper was aged 19 years.

With the bomb run over, the crews must now adjust their instruments and set course for home following one of three pre-determined routes.

44 squadron, Lancaster ME699 KM-T would be the next to succumb to the night fighters in the area. Not unusual but this aircraft was manned by eight men. The aircraft came down in a ball of flames over the small village of Laversine near to Beauvais. Two of the crew managed to bail out and both evaded capture and when Beauvais was liberated both men were reunited and returned home. Uffz. Günther Schlomberg of 3/NJG2 claims a Lancaster in the area at 01H49 which is about the time which Mrs.Bravard recalls seeing an aircraft plough in to a field behind her farm. Sgt Robinson, was picked up by the Morels family and would soon be joined by another pilot from the third Saint Leu raid. The other airman F/S J E Wainwright was also helped by a local resistance group led by the Pelltiers family who hid him at their family home in Haudivillier. All the airmen returned in 1950/60's to respectively thank the families who helped them.

P/O W.A.Young (RAAF), Sgt W.Robinson, F/O F.E.Wareham, F/O H.Braathen (RCAF), F/S J.E.Wainwright, Sgt T.L.Jackson, Sgt W.W.Rennie (RCAF), Sgt R.Houseman

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mwainw4898/

"Vers 2 à 3 heures du matin, un avion tournait au dessus de Laversines avant d'exploser et tombé entre ma ferme et la faisanderie dans une pature de pommiers"

With the target a far way off behind them the bomber crews were for ever more getting closer to the English channel and finally home. However, the final sprint was by no way un eventful.

630 squadron would lose Lancaster ME867 LE-N. The aircraft crashed near the town of Lannoy - Cuillere The crew of seven all died and are buried at Poix de la Picardie churchyard apart from Sgt F.H.Hard who is buried in the town of Lannoy. According to a local inhabitant the aircraft crashed between the D8 & D316. At this point nine Luftwaffe pilots claim the shooting down of aircraft in the area.

P/O R.N.Taft, Sgt W.J.Goodyear, Sgt H.Bradley, Sgt F.Hartley, Sgt E.C.Day, Sgt F.H.Hard, Sgt G.H.Tyler.

Within minutes of the fate of 630 squadrons Lancaster, 49 squadrons Lancaster PB195 EA-P was shot down between Gourcelles and Romescamp. killing all seven aboard. The crew are buried at Romescamp local churchyard.

F/O H.F.Dod, Sgt V.A.Keen, F/S N.Gordon, F/S J.L.Cox, Sgt L.Horner, Sgt B.R.Scott, Sgt J.R.Truscott (RCAF).

The last Lancaster to succumb to night fighter action in this area was 57 squadrons Lancaster JB723 DX-P. The aircraft crashed near Aubermesnil aux Erables and the crew of seven are buried in the churchyard.

P/O R.R.Smith (RAAF), Sgt R.D.Mercer, F/S F.W.Hood (RCAF), F/S C.F.Spencer, Sgt E.A.Wood, Sgt W.A.Roberts, Sgt W.R.Moore (RCAF).

I spoke with Mr. LEGER Andre who recalls the crash and pointed out to me the crash site. He also remembers that Ellecourt was bombed because in the wood land close to the crash site was a V1 launch ramp. Further down the road was a fixed FLAK position.

Following the second of two return paths 463 squadron would lose their second Lancaster ME614 JO-K that night over the town of Lyon La Foret. Four of the crew have their names on the Runnymede Memorial, the others are buried in Beauvais-Marissel French National cemetery. With the help of Henri COLLIGNON who recalled seeing the aircraft come down, we established the area "les maisons blanches". He was also able to tell me that it was shot down by a night fighter. According the Luftwaffe, Fw. Blank 8./NJGF claims and aircraft in this area at 01H53 (TC-TD).

P/O N.WEBB (RAAF), F/O A.CONNOR (RAAF), F/O E.FLETCHER, W/O L.HARRISON (RAAF), F/O Mcleod, F/S P.DUNFORD (RAAF), F/S A.GILLETT (RAAF), F/S T.HENDRY ( RAF)

"L'Avro Lancaster ME614 du Sq 463 a ete abattu la nuit du 04.07.1944 a cote du lieu dit "les maisons blanches" 2 Kms de LYONS LA FORET ( Eure), il aurait decolle de Waddington a23h04, bombarde Saint Leu et abattu par la chasse. Je l'ai vu en flammes au dessus de Lyons un instant avant son crash d'apres les archives tous les membres d'equipage sont morts, L'Anglais que j'ai vu quelques heures apres dans un camion allemand a probablement ete montre par la propagande Nazi et n'etait pas de cet appareil." Henri COLLIGNON

61 squadron lost its only aircraft that night Lancaster EE186 QR-D. The aircraft came down between the town of Les Andelys and Harquency. Five of the crew were taken prisoner whilst two evaded capture. The RAF report states that two of the thirteen aircraft were shot down by Flak. Taking into account that no claim was made in this area by the Luftwaffe. It would seem that this aircraft was shot down by Flak.

P/O W.North (POW), Sgt D.J.Hatchett (EVD), F/S H.E.Crowley (EVD), F/S N.E.Jarvis (RAAF) (POW), G.I.W.Montgith (POW), D.A.Bartlett (POW), Sgt P.E. O'shea (POW)

106 Squadron would soon lose their Lancaster ND339 ZN-U that night but this time to Flak of the Rouen area . The aircraft crashed near the small village of Sevis, killing the pilot. Only F/O F Crosier died in the crash and is buried in the Saint Sever cemetery at Rouen. Two of the remaining six, Sgt T H Perera and C K Churchyard were taken prisoner. The rest evaded capture. P/O G A Price RNZAF, was one of those who managed to escape. Graemes met up with another one of his crew and they both were hidden by Mr. Beucamp before being moved by the Resistance to a Chateau where they hid for several weeks. Finally being taken to Rouen where they would be liberated by the Canadians on the 30th August 1944.

F/O F. Crosier, Sgt R.R.Mosley (EVD), F/S A.G.Ross (RCAF) (EVD), P/O G.A.Price (RNZAF), Sgt T.H.Perera (POW), Sgt W.J.Hardisty (EVD) Sgt C.Kchurchyard (POW).

Graeme Price

The last aircraft to be shot down was 207 squadrons Lancaster ND570 EM-Z. Which according to the 207 squadron Association crashed at Abbeville. Only Sgt Edward Ross Inglis RCAF managed to survive and was taken prisoner. The other members of the crew are commemorated on the Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede. However, according to Steve Darlows book, the aircraft crashed into the sea near Dieppe. If the aircraft did crashed over Abbeville on the return journey, it is possible that Lt. Wilhelm Esche, Luftwaffe pilot of 2/JG301 was the perpetrator. However, if it did crash into the sea near Dieppe, then it could be possible that Lt. Joachim Plass of 1/NJG5 shot it down.

Luftwaffe - Frappes - Hemidal: This book gives the account of the "Wilde Sau" squadron (See pages 277 & 278). Sent up to patrol the V1 launch site area. The 3 Staffeins were given areas to patrol, light by search light. All the German fighters returned to base with out losing a single fighter.

By Graham TAYLOR (2007)

Dernière édition par tazorii le jeu. nov. 01, 2007 11:54 am, édité 15 fois.

Sujet du message :
MessagePublié : dim. oct. 28, 2007 19:26 pm 
Hors-ligne
Site Admin

Bonsoir

Voici une traduction rapide pour les appareils abattus dans l'Oise. Pourrais-tu préciser ta source Graham?

Objectif : Saint-Leu-d’Esserent

Dans la nuit du 4 au 5 juillet 1944 le Bomber Command envoya 231 Lancaster et 15 Mosquito attaquer le dépôt de stockage des V1 à Saint-Leu-d’Esserent. Comme la cible avait été reconnue auparavant les équipages tracèrent leur route de manière à éviter les principales villes et les emplacement de flak connus qu’ils pourraient rencontrer au-dessus de la France. Ce qui n’avait pas été prévu c’était le nombre de chasseurs qui avaient été rassemblés pour protéger le dépôt. Cela eut de sérieuses conséquences avec pas moins de 13 Lancaster de la RAF abattus au-dessus du territoire occupé. De nombreux équipages perdirent la vie dans leur vaillant effort pour mettre un terme au règne de la terreur du V1 au-dessus de l’Angleterre. Quelques membres d’équipages furent capturés par les troupes allemandes mais cependant quelques chanceux purent échapper à la capture grâce à l’aide apportée par des Français et des Françaises qui cachèrent les aviateurs dans leurs propres habitations avec le danger permanent d’être arrêtés ou dénoncés. Parfois les Allemands venaient chez eux mais ils cherchaient de la nourriture ou un endroit pour dormir plutôt que des aviateurs. Les Français et les aviateurs connurent ensemble de tels moments angoissants. Ajoutons à la peur d’être arrêtés, ils encouraient la peine de mort, le manque de ravitaillement que les familles enduraient déjà.

La BBC avait envoyé un message codé à la population de Saint-Leu-d’Esserent indiquant que les renseignements au sujet de la base envoyés par les radios de la Résistance avaient été bien reçus.

Monsieur et Madame Bonnaventure étaient gardes-barrières en face de l’entrée de la base. Ce fut leur nom traduit en anglais qui fut utilisé. Bonne aventure se traduit good aventure et ce code fut utilisé dans le message suivant : » »

«Ce soir nous irons a la bonne aventure » ( Tonight we go on a good adventure)

Une plaque a été apposée sur la maison de leurs petits-enfants à Saint-Leu-d’Esserent en souvenir de leurs grands-parents. Le couple fut arrêté par les Allemands et interrogé. L’interrogatoire tourna court car dans le message Bonne Aventure s’épelait différement de leur nom. Le couple fut relâché sans dommage.

Le bombardement sur Saint-Leu-d’Esserent était prévu de nuit avec un largage des bombes à 1H45. Cette nuit-là le ciel était dégagé avec un eau clair de lune. Les unités s’étaient rassemblées au-dessus de l’Angleterre à partir de 23H30 avant de traverser la Manche et les côtes françaises.

(voir “Sledge hammers for tintacks” par Steve Darlow)

Voici le détail des appareils par escadrille:The following aircraft from each squadron is deta

Le 9 squadron envoya les LL845, W4964, JA957, JA690, LL785, ME833, EE136, LM453, LL884, LL914, DV161, PB146, ME809, DV396

Le 106 squadron envoya les JB663, ME789, LL953, PB191, ME832, ND682, ME668, ME778, LM215, PB144, ME831, JB593, ND339, LL948, JB641, PB122.

Lorsque les formations de bombardiers survolèrent la France ils durent affronter les chasseurs de la Luftwaffe. Ils harcelèrent les équipages tout au long du trajet vers la cible et lors du retour. Ce ne fut vraiment pas du gâteau.

Le premier appareil à succomber fut le Lancaster HK536 JO-H du 463 Squadron.Il fut descendu au-dessus de Ellecourt en Seine-Maritîme, au nord-ouest de Beauvais. Les sept membres d’équipage sont inhumés dans le cimetière communal : F/O A.K.Carter (RAAF), Sgt B.J.Watts, F/S R.H.Norman, Sgt A.C.Brown, F/S T.F.Maher (RAAF), F/S G.R.Whimpey (BEM RAAF), F/S G.E.Dowling. L’Uffz. Grätz de la 3/JG301 revendiqua une victoire vers 1H15.

Le 57 Squadron perdit le Lancaster JB486 DX-F près de Breteuil. Le Fw Martin Schulze de la 1/JG301 revendique une victoire sur un quadrimoteur dans ce secteur (au sud-est) à 1H17. Les sept hommes d’équipages reposent dans le cimetière de l’église de Poix-de-Picardie : F/L A.E.Grubb, Sgt H.Lees, WO2 J.W.Weyers (RCAF), F/O J.P.Hodges (RAAF), Sgt G.T Osborne, Sgt C.N.Stalker, Sgt J.T.Nixon.

Le troisième Lancaster descendu fut le ME832 ZN-J du 106 Squadron. Seul le F/S O J McNaughton RCAF survécut et échappa à la capture. Quatre aviateurs sont enterrés à Beauvais-Marissel : Sgt R.Bentley, F/S F.H.Stokeld, F/S O.J.McNaughton (RCAF), F/O W.H.C.Ramsay, Sgt A.Bradley. Les panneaux 211 et 232 à Runnymede commémorent les F/S Futcher et Sgt Kearney. L’avion s’écrasa avec ses bombes dans un petit bois près de Saint-Germain-la-Poterie. Le Fw. Gerhard Koch ode la 1/JG301 revendique une victoire sur un Lancaster à 1H30.

Jean Lagouche se souvient : « En 1994 les familles vinrent à Beauvais pour voir le site du crash. Nous les rencontrâmes. En recoupant nos informations nous parvîment à déterminer l’endroit qu’elles cherchaient. Le mémorial fut érigés par les soins de deux membres du musée : Jacques Maillard et moi. J’ai construit le monument avec un artisan. La mairie de Saint-Germain-la-Poterie finança le projet. »

La formation de bombardiers vira ensuite à l’ouest de Saint-Leu-d’Esserent pour préparer son passage après avoir été témoin de la perte des trois appareils et se prépara au long voyage du retour. Après le largage des bombes des chasseurs de nuit plus nombreux encore vinrent faire payer le prix fort au groupe qui perdit encore deux Lancaster à ce moment-là.

Le 9 Squadron perdit le LL785 WS-F qui s’écrasa dans une pâture près du hameau de Le Tillet où tous les membres d’équipages périrent. Madame Poulet vit le crash mais personne ne se rendit sur place car l’infanterie allemande y était déjà. Six hommes sont enterrés au cimetière communal de Creil: P/O D.W.Ryan, F/L J.V.Patrick (RNZAF), Sgt H.P.F.Eveleigh, F/S I.A.Buchanan, F/S V.H.Grayson, F/S S.E.W.Marshall, Sgt J.T.Theaker tandis que le Sgt Atkin repose à Beauvais-Marissel. Cette victoire est revendiquée par l’Oblt. Ernst Fischer de la 1/JG301 à 01H35.

A peu près au même moment le 207 Squadron perdit le Lancaster LM125 EM-G qui tomba à Apremont près de Chantilly, à la Faisanderie. Les sept hommes furent tués et enterrés au cimetière communal de Creil : P/O J.H.Wilson, Sgt J.Matthews, F/S H.G.West, F/S C.M.Firth, Sgt C.A.Hallett, Sgt C.Stapleton, Sgt A.D.Roper
L’ Oblt Ernst Fischer revendique une seconde victoire à 1H39, seulement quatre minutes après la première.

(…) Le bombardement terminé les équipages devaient maintenant ajuster leurs instruments et rentrer en suivant trois routes déterminées à l’avance.

Le Lancaster ME699 KM-T du 44 Squadron fut le suivant à succomber aux coups des chasseurs de nuit dans le secteur. Il y avait huit hommes à bord, cette exception n’était pa trop rare : P/O W.A.Young (RAAF), Sgt W.Robinson, F/O F.E.Wareham, F/O H.Braathen (RCAF), F/S J.E.Wainwright, Sgt T.L.Jackson, Sgt W.W.Rennie (RCAF), Sgt R.Houseman Il descendit dans une gerbe de flammes sur le village de Laversine près de Beauvais. Deux hommes se parachutèrent, échappèrent à la capture et quand Beauvais fut libérée ils se retrouvèrent et retournèrent chez eux. L’Uffz. Günther Schlomberg de la 3/NJG2 revendique un Lancaster dans le secteur à 1H49. C’est vers cette heure que Madame …? Se souvient avoir vu un avion se poser sur le ventre dans le champ derrière sa ferme. Le Sgt Robinson fut récupéré par la famille Morel et fut ensuite rejoint par un autre pilote tombé au cours du troisième raid sur Saint-Leu-d’Esserent. L’autre aviateur F/S J E Wainwright fut aussi aidé par un groupe de la Résistance conduit par la famille Pelletier qui le cacha dans la maison familiale à Haudivillers. Ces aviateurs retournèrent dans les années 50.60 remercier ces familles qui les avaient aidés.

La cible loin derrière, les équipages se rapprochèrent de la Manche et enfin de la maison.

Le 630 squadron perdit le Lancaster ME867 LE-N. L’avion s’écrasa près de Lannoy – Cuillere. L’équipage périt en entier et est inhumé au cimetière de l’église de Poix-de-Picardie : P/O R.N.Taft, Sgt W.J.Goodyear, Sgt H.Bradley, Sgt F.Hartley, Sgt E.C.Day, Sgt G.H.Tyler. Seul le Sgt F.H.Hard est enterré à Lannoy. Selon les habitants l’appareil s’est écrasé entre les D8 et D316. Neuf pilotes revendiquent à ce moment un appareil dans ce secteur..

Le Lancaster PB195 EA-P du 49 squadron connut un sort semblable à peine quelques minutes plus tard entre Courcelles et Romescamp et les sept membres d’équipage furent tués. Ils sont enterrés au cimetière communal de Romescamp : F/O H.F.Dod, Sgt V.A.Keen, F/S N.Gordon, F/S J.L.Cox, Sgt L.Horner, Sgt B.R.Scott, Sgt J.R.Truscott (RCAF).

Cordialement

Sujet du message : 61 Squadron
MessagePublié : dim. oct. 28, 2007 20:23 pm 
Hors-ligne

A little stroy about that night:

It was my crew's twenty-third sortie; we were about two thirds of the way through our operational tour, the end of which was not yet in sight but we were cautiously confident that we would become 'tour expired'. Briefing was completed, the trades knew their vital bits of information and all had been put together by myself, still stressing the need for vigilance whilst in the air.

The pre-flight dressing up took place in the crew room with the solemn, but no longer furtive little rituals (we knew each other well by now) of right or left flying boot first, the adornment of scarves not washed until the end of the tour, and good luck charms from girlfriends and mothers. Now we were standing near our aircraft each of us with our private thoughts about the flight to come. Whatever those doubts and fears were they would disappear as 'Y' Yoke lined up at the end of the runway and I would say: “Right here we go - rear gunner all set in the turret - OK inner's up to 2,000 (rpm) engineer.”

The sortie commenced with a take-off time at 2304 hours setting course over base at 2346 hours to join the Lancaster force heading for the target. The first leg south, on a track of 163°, led to point 'A' east of London then onto a track of 150° to turning point 'B' on the mouth of the Somme, then onto the next leg, a track of 163° to a point 'C' just west of the target. The operational height was just under 10,000 feet which was unfortunate as the hazy atmosphere at this altitude reflected the light of a full moon creating very poor horizontal visibility. If vertical visibility was good, there would not be any bombing problems. As we progressed down the flight leg we were heartened to see the occasional - dit - dit - dit - dah V for Victory Morse code sign flashed by the French patriots, plainly visible against the blackness of the ground.

As expected the objective was visible and despite enemy nuisances it was with a feeling of satisfaction and relief that we turned out of the target area onto a northerly track of 026° towards turning point 'D'. In a short time turning point 'D' arrived, then onto a longer run to point 'E' on a course of 349°. The aircraft was, as always, much lighter to fly after the release of the bomb load, the four Merlin engines were harmonized at 2,600 revs per minute, the pressures and temperatures were as they should be. I was not too unhappy with the situation as I put the aircraft through a gentle weave heading for home base.

By now after seemingly years of experience, only actually a few months, the run up to, through, and out of the target area, was a well disciplined drill. A far cry from the first time, when everything was strange and frightening, a difficult target with 42 aircraft lost [the raid to Mailly-le-Camp on the night of 3/4 May 1944], and after the thump of the 'bombs gone' there was the wait for the target photo-flash and getting out of the area. On our current operation it was with great dismay that I saw that our height was 2,000 feet above what it should have been, I had forgotten to trim the flying altitude when the bombs were released. Not really dangerous this time, but a lesson not to be forgotten. I had a mental picture of the flight plan and knew that after the next turning point a further few short legs would take us to point 'G', which was on the French coast some miles south of where we came in. It would be a slight-nose-down for a few extra few mph heading for home base.

There was a hiss of an intercom and the navigator [Warrant Officer Dave Grant RCAF] called: “Next course will be 280°, turn now skipper.”

I set the new course on the compass and turned to port onto the new heading.

“Thanks Nav, on course, how long to coast?”

My question was for the crew's benefit, to keep them informed of progress, and let them know how long they had to go before their bacon and eggs.

“About eighteen minutes,” said Dave.

By now the moonlight reflecting against the haze was at its brightest and as I gave my eyes a rest from the instrument panel with a quick look up and around, I wondered if our aircraft was clearly silhouetted to anyone flying above the haze level. No probably not: it isn't cloud but a trail. I was about to call the rear gunner [Sergeant Geoff 'Gillie' Gilbert] when:

“Skipper, I've picked up a bandit 1,200 yards astern and to port.”

The wireless operator [Sergeant Doug Boothby] was keeping a close eye on his small radar screen.

“OK thanks. Gunners, sharp look out now.”
My order wasn't really necessary but it established the rapport of the four crew members making up the defensive team.

“Still there, 1,000 yards now skipper, the closing rate isn't high.” And a few minutes later: “800 yards”.

“Any sign of it rear gunner?” I asked.

“Can't see a thing.”

“Mid upper?” [Sergeant Peter 'Jock' Haddon]

“Not yet, skipper.”

“600 yards, still there,” called Doug.

“Gillie, Jock. Any sign yet?” I was getting anxious.

“No.”

“No.”

“500 yards, still there,” came Doug's steady voice, and again: “400 yards. No change. Could be one of ours with his IFF [Identification Friend or Foe] not switched on.”

“Yeah, could be. Let's find out. I'm turning 90° to starboard. Now.”

As the aircraft swung onto the new heading I was aware that I was crossing the bomber stream so I held a steady altitude to lessen the chance of collision. I needed to identify the following aircraft; the poor visibility would leave no time for doubt. At the first glimpse the gunners would shoot or be shot! A few minutes had passed on the new heading when:

“I've still got him skip. Right behind 400 yards,” from Doug.

“OK, I'm turning left back onto course now. Any sign yet, Gillie, Jock?”

“300 yards. . . 250 yards.” Doug's voice was now anxious.

Then: “Got him! Corkscrew port go! Go!” It was the urgent voice of Geoff Gilbert, and as the Lancaster dropped down he added: “It's a Ju88.”

There was no sound of gunfire, the evasive action had been too quick and the sighting was lost in the haze. When about 950 feet had unwound on the altimeter I turned the aircraft through 60° to starboard and into a climbing turn.

“Where is he, Doug?”

He replied: “Was over the starboard up. . . now moving to rear. . . across to portside about 300 yards. . . 200 yards.”

The relative position of the enemy night fighter was changing rapidly as I flew the bomber through the evasive pattern. I called over the intercom:

“Have you got it, gunners?”

Doug added: “Still on port . . . slightly down skipper. . . 100 yards.”

“Corkscrew port, Go!” called Geoff.

The Lancaster was still climbing with a slight turn to starboard and as I pulled it straight to commence a diving turn to port:
“Hold it, skip. Hold it!” The Scottish voice of Peter 'Jock' Haddon came over the intercom, and I froze, holding the bomber straight and level. This all happened in a split second within which the Browning guns rattled.

Sergeant Geoff Gilbert in the rear turret met his foe eye to eye:

“We had gone into the violent corkscrew and he was underneath us. Then I saw the Ju88. He was so close. I was looking right at him and I could see the Ju88's crew looking right up at me. I just depressed my guns and fired. The next thing I knew he was going down in flames.”

Whilst taking my aircraft through the evasive manoeuvres, anxiously awaited news from his crew:

“He's breaking away underneath to port,” called Doug. “Going down and away rapidly.”
“He's on fire. We got him,” shouted Jock.
“Are you sure?” I queried, not quite believing the change in circumstances. “We've got him. He's on fire,” came the excited voice of Geoff.
“I can see it. He's hit the deck and there's two parachutes,” from Doug who had stood up with his head in the astrodome and was getting his share of the drama and excitement.

“I can see it on the ground now, and the two parachutes,” shouted Geoff.

I had to be sure and cut across the excited comments: “Where is it?”

All three chipped in with instructions to look over to port and slightly forward. I dropped the port wing and had a quick look. Nothing. Another look and this time yes, I saw a large fire visible against the black ground just slipping under the wing and yes, two grey blobs, visible in the moonlight, that were the parachutes.

“Good show. Well done! Well done! Dave, log the time and the position. A Ju88 destroyed.” The relief and elation were there, expressed on the intercom in the back chat and reconstruction of how it happened. I said nothing allowing the excited tension to ease, then: “OK, fellas, let's settle down now, well done! Let's get home; there may be some more about.”

Back at base on the dispersal pan with the engines stopped, parking drills completed, the sudden silence deafening everyone, little was said about the victory. It was quietly suggested to the ground crew that a swastika would be joining the bomb symbols painted on the side of the aircraft's fuselage, then we were away in the crew bus to the debriefing room. Before sitting down with the de-briefing officer we grabbed a mug of tea perhaps with a shot of rum for those inclined, and I then walked over to the squadron commanding officer, a down to earth, approachable Australian, doing his second tour of operation.

“Well, sir, we finally got one tonight. A Ju88. Saw it hit the ground.”

I was tired after the flight, like all of the aircrew in the room, but people in general were weary, war-weary, and the drama of Lancaster 'Y' Yoke's fight for life had happened before, many times to many people. It was only important to those involved, but even we would quickly forget as each subsequent flight presented its different emergencies. So we were de-briefed and claimed an enemy fighter destroyed. This was confirmed and was mentioned in the bomber group's news sheet some weeks later.

Sergeant Geoff Gilbert would receive a DFM for his actions on the night. Sergeant Doug Boothby and Sergeant Peter Haddon would also be later decorated with DFMs. I received the DFC.

By Pilot Officer Don Street, DFC who piloted a 61 Squadron Lancaster on the raid to St Leu d'Esserent on the night of 4/5 July 1944.

This story is also available in Steve Darlow’s book Sledgehammers for Tintacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 5290.shtml

Dernière édition par tazorii le mar. oct. 30, 2007 18:32 pm, édité 1 fois.

Sujet du message :
MessagePublié : dim. oct. 28, 2007 21:07 pm 
Hors-ligne

Bonsoir, voilà de la lecture pour les longues soirées d'hiver :lol:
En voilà du détails, et merci pour la traduction express, amicalement jph

Sujet du message : 5/JG2
MessagePublié : mar. oct. 30, 2007 18:39 pm 
Hors-ligne

Un seule avion de la Luftwaffe s'écrase dans l'oise cette nuit la pour sur, à Orry la ville; Mais il y en a peut etre eu d'autres?

ME109 du 5/JG2 'Richthofen'
Richard Kühberger

Publier un nouveau sujet  Répondre au sujet  [ 5 messages ] 

Le fuseau horaire est réglé sur UTC+01:00